Basantapur Education Society (BES) was established in 1995. It is registered under:
- West Bengal Societies Registration Act,
- Income Tax Act, and
- Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act.
The main aim of the society is the all out development of the area through Education and allied activities like Library and Games & Sports.
To achieve this objective, BES
has already established:
- A Primary School
- Model School from Nursery to H.S. (Science),
- A General Degree College (Dumkal college, Basantapur) (Among other courses the college offers Honours Courses in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Bengali, English, Geography, Accountancy and Computer Science as combination subject),
- A Short Term Vocational training Centre,
- Dumkal Polytechnic(DP)
Dumkal Institute of Engineering & Technology. (DIET)
Teachers' Training Institution. (MPTTI)
BES also wants to establish a Medical college. For this it has already procured the required 75 bighas of land and Consent of Affiliation from University of Calcutta. It has also submitted application to the Govt of West Bengal for No Objection Certificate.
In near future it also wants to establish an Industrial Training Institute.
In its Managing Committee BES has distinguished persons like:
- Dr. Nazrul Islam, B Sc, M A, MBA, Ph D, IPS as Chairman,
- Prof Debapriya Bandyopadhay, Principal, Dumkal College, Basantapur as Secretary, and
- Sh Parbati Sankar Nandi, President, Dumkal Bazar Byabsayi Samiti & Vice President Murshidabad District Chambers of Commerce as Treasurer.